Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The House Hunter

I have reached a time in my life when an apartment does not cut it for me anymore.  Giving this idea much thought, I have decided to look for my own home.  I casually started looking at homes last summer and have been addicted to MLS ever since.  I find it facinating how differently houses are priced and feel there are a few that are totally out of line with the ask.  It seems that if you are looking on the lower end, you will get a pretty small, and likely outdated home with a nicer sized yard, or a nicer home with virtually no yard.

Last night, I found just the latter.  Having spotted a very nice looking bungalow with an attractive price, I arranged a viewing.  Just as I thought, the house is set up great and looks very cozy.  I absolutely love the livingroom and the lovely gas fireplace it offers.  The upstairs would be totally fine to live in with not much more than a coat of paint needed.  The downstairs has potential but would need some work and money.  I could live with that knowing I would be spending some significant years there.  All in all, I think the house is good value; however, the near non-existent back yard is a concern.  Most of the back yard was pavement (driveway is shaped like an L), with an apartment building sitting directly behind.  I have a dog so a backyard is definitely on my list of options.  Even nicer if the yard is already fenced in.

On Saturday, I have about seven more houses lined up to see.  I have already checked them out on-line and have a good idea which ones are going to appeal to me.  This home buying thing is a big investment and I am not taking this lightly.  I want to make sure I get the best suited home, at the right price. Each house I see has something good to offer and is helping me on my quest. I am just waiting for the right one to come along.

2 comments:

Matthew.67 said...

This is a great event, but also a HUGE responsibility that you are more than ready to handle Lisa. Any house is a lower price range is going to have its quirks but at the same time, it gives you a chance to exercise your design creativity. You can change a home to make it your own and also increase the property value in the event that things change. This is going to be fun house shopping, and at the same time thinking about style ideas. The house we saw the other night has great potential, and it does have a backyard albeit small. I want to see that one again Saturday in the daytime so you can really see what you are getting into. My own opinion was that I really liked that house, but it does need a major colour change and other alterations.now this is where your ol pal Matty shines! LOL!

Weezie said...

Saturday is going to be exciting. Mark has seven other houses lined up for me to see. I will go straight from Hamilton to the first one. The one we viewed the other night is the eighth house on the list. It's good to have friends with an eye for design Matt.

Lisa