Friday, October 9, 2009

Analysis: 'Blackface Jacksons' embarrassing to Australia


This article talks about racisim in Austrailia.

I've never been to Australia, but have always been intrigued by movies, pictures, and stories I have seen. I picture the men as rugged, strong, and ready to take on a crocidile in the outback. After reading this article, I am a bit embarrassed by the ignorance that seems to be prevelant in this nation. A former Prime Minister stated that, "Australians pride themselves for their egaltarianism", but apparently, this is for white people only. This statement seems ambiguous to me and should be disgarded.

Good for Harry Conick Jr. for rejecting racial slurs. I'm sure that the Jackson family would not feel this skit was funny, especially because of the recent loss of a dear loved one. It is too bad that Michael Jackson could not receive the respect he deserves, if only for what he gave mankind through his music, dance, creativity, and altruism. I don't understand this 'old school' behaviour of this group in Australia. This is disrespectful on so many levels, and I'm glad this act has been exposed. Conick Jr. is a native American and displays how much progress many Americans have made in the segregation of different race.

It is important to treat others with respect and dignity. The colour of our skin does not decide our class or worth. We are the same inside and no one is better than any one else, even though there are many who would beg to differ. There is nothing funny when we joke at the expense of others.

This situation only stresses that Australia is still a very young nation that needs to grow up.

2 comments:

Matthew.67 said...

This is a very touchy subject with me...it has always been a case of fitting in with different ethnic minorities, while one culture is frowned upon another is embraced. I never knew this existed in the world sadly until my family moved to Canada. Here in this country multiculturalism is prompted as much as possible, yet ethnic minorities are still looked down upon. My own culture being half native was more or less a curse in my life in my opinion, it was only after I was embraced and mistaken as an Italian did every door flew open and I honestly never looked back. I was actually ashamed at one point trying to fit in or even find where I belonged in my youth. I as well as many others only saw the down side of my heritage and I became a man denying who I really was, just to be accepted in normal society. Things have changed in the recent years...culturally, economically and educationally. Racism still exists outside of our own doors to this very day.

Weezie said...

Thank you for your post Matthew. I am saddened by the racisim that still exists, and that haven't felt like you could "fit" in if you protrayed your actual heritage.