Sunday, October 18, 2009

Obama World Peace Prize?


Barack Obama wins a Nobel Peace Prize. There seemed to be much question from the media and public to this prestigious award going to Barack Obama. I have to admit that when I first heard this announcement, I too questioned the decision. My first instinct was that maybe this was just a little bit of grandstanding on the political front. Actually, there was a lot of people around me that said they were wondering what constituted Obama to be this year's winner.

My understanding of the Nobel Peace Prize is that the criteria baseline is grounded in peace attribution. It seems to me that the United States is involved in two wars going on in the middle east. Mr. Obama is actually Chief and Commander of two major wars. What an oxymoron to claims of world peace efforts. Perhaps it will take a little time to end these wars, and the President appears to have strong beliefs in ending war and creating solidified altruistic relationships between the US and the rest of the world.

I think it's great that Obama is using diplomacy as a strategy to achieve strong relationships and understanding within the nations. In reality, we should be living in peace, adapting to the natural order of ebb and flow of life.

Whether or not Obama winning a Nobel Peace Prize was premature, will obviously remain an issue of debate. All we can hope for is that the world does achieve the prize's ultimate goal of obtaining world peace.

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hi Lisa,
For the Media Relations Class I will review 22 newspapers/sources from 13 countries in three languages. I can send you the final ppt if you like. My opinion on that topic is you can be elected as a President of a country by giving promises, but you should only get a Nobel Prize when you keep them.

Unknown said...

Here is the ppt I was talking about:
http://www.slideshare.net/soulician/10-oct09-obamafor-nobel

Unknown said...

I updated the ppt, now one can read most of the papers, and listen to John Lennon.

Weezie said...

Hi Kaan,

I saw your slideshow - it's very good. I like how you incorporated John Lennon (Give Peace a Chance) into your presentation. Thank you for sharing.

Lisa