Saturday, October 17, 2009

The House of Pain

This is what I refer to my most recent undertaking of going to the gym. After many years of inactivity, I have signed up for personal training sessions and have done three so far. Might I mention that I purchased these sessions at a silent auction earlier this year. Not to add insult to injury, but there is nothing silent about the pain that I have endured in my short tenure of going to the gym.

My first session went pretty well. It was a light workout combined with a consultation with my trainer. We talked about diet, my goals, and what I expect to gain from these sessions. I was sore the next few days, but went on to my second session without reservation.

The second session included a full leg workout, which I felt instantaneously. I walked out of the gym feeling much like a gumby doll. The rest of the night was interesting. It was difficult to walk up and down stairs and my muscles seemed to have a mind of their own. The next two days can be described as "full and total pain." On a scale of one to ten, I give the experience an eight. I could not even get out of my car and wished I had a crane there to lift me to an upright position.

I was supposed to go in for another workout post second day and ended up calling and re-scheduling. My trainer told me to soak in a tub of Epsom salts and to come back the following day. He assured me that we would not be working on legs, but instead would focus on upper body. Today I feel stiff and sore, but nothing compares to that first leg workout.

Knowing that going to the gym will boost my energy level, improve wellness, and eventually make my clothes fit better will keep me motivated. As time marches on and the workouts add up, I know the soreness I feel now will lighten.

I will forge on and keep this routine going. I keep thinking of an old saying that I've heard many times before - "no pain, no gain."

2 comments:

Matthew.67 said...

I am proud of you Lisa! Getting back to the gym is a very big step and its not an easy one. Stick with it because the pain will go away after a short time and you are going to feel like a whole new person! Give it your normal best and hang in there for the long haul! I'm cheering you on!

Weezie said...

Thank you for the moral support Matthew! You're right, the pain has subsided significantly now and I am not dreading going to the gym so much now. I still have to find more time in the week to do more cardio. I'm a work in progress here.